3RT:6 – The Unbearable Whiteness of Being
This week on 3RT, we’ll be talking about Whiteness. More and more we hear that whites are in trouble in America. They’re facing economically anxiety, they’re depressed, they’re suicidal, they’re resentful. But we’re also told that nearly everything we value in society; democracy, art, science, and philosophy has been largely shaped by white culture. But what does it mean to be white? What is white culture? Does white culture need to be protected and preserved?
Sources mentioned in this podcast…
- Rep. Steve King’s (R-Iowa) comments on the contributions of white people to Western Civilization.
- Information including statistics about German immigration to the Americas.
- Lewis Charles Levin, who most famously stoked xenophobic, anti-immigrant fires in mid-19th America.
- Illustration from H. Strickland Constable’s 1889 book “Ireland from One or Two Neglected Points of View” of the supposed skull similarities between Irish immigrants and black slaves as compared to the “superior” Anglo-Saxon peoples.
- WW1-era propaganda poster depicting the ape-like and rapacious invading “Hun”.
- History of German-American internment during WW1.
- Washington Post article discussing Jonathan Metzl’s book, “Dying of Whiteness”.
- Dr. Rhea Boyd’s Lancet article “Despair doesn’t kill, defending whiteness does”.